Tree Removal Permit Information Sheet
Department of Community Development
3180 Atlanta Road, Smyrna, GA 30080
Section 106-39(d) of the City of Smyrna Tree Ordinance:
A permit is required to remove any living tree with a dbh of 24 inches or greater on property with no development activity.
Tree Removal Permit
• The tree removal permit is only required for trees 24 inches diameter breast height (dbh) or larger (measured at 4 ft off the
o Trees smaller than 24 inches of any genus can be removed without a permit.
• A tree removal permit application must be completed and issued prior to tree removal. Multiple trees taken down on the same
property will fall under one tree removal permit.
• $100 fee per tree removal permit.
• Each tree removed underneath a tree removal permit will be required to be replaced with a 2-inch caliper tree of a similar species
or genus back on the subject property. All trees must be replanted within 60 days of the issuance of the tree removal permit; OR
• If the property owner decides not to replant the 2 in caliper tree, the property owner will be required to pay $400 into the City’s Tree Bank.
• Call (678) 631- 5387 to request an arborist inspection when the tree has been planted.
• If the tree has been planted properly and passes inspection, the permit will be completed and closed.
Dead, Dying, or Hazardous Trees
• The property owner will still be required to obtain a tree removal permit; however, the permit fee shall be waived for a tree
deemed dead, dying, or hazardous by a Qualified Professional.
Tree Removal without a Permit
• Tree removal without a permit requires double recompense by replanting two 2-inch caliper trees per 24 in tree removed; OR
• The property owner will be required to pay $800 into the Tree Bank per 24 in tree removed if they decide not to replant the tree